Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
1864 Washington and Fayette Counties EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
1864 Washington and Fayette Counties EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
1864 Washington and Fayette Counties EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
1864 Washington and Fayette Counties EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
1864 Washington and Fayette Counties EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
1864 Washington and Fayette Counties EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
1864 Washington and Fayette Counties EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
1864 Washington and Fayette Counties EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
1864 Washington and Fayette Counties EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

1864 Washington and Fayette Counties

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

11864 Washington and Fayette Counties Empty 1864 Washington and Fayette Counties Mon May 31, 2010 10:45 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Copied from Texas Civilian Yahoo list. Posted January 2008 by Vicki Betts

Houston Tri-Weekly Telegraph, December 19, 1864, p. 3

Washington,
December 14, 1864.
Editor Telegraph--I have just returned here from a tour through
Washington and Fayette counties. We passed through the towns of
Independence, Long Point, Round Top, Chappell Hill, Rutersville, La Grange, Fayetteville and Brenham. Independence is a beautiful town; it is situated upon a large mound shaped hill, and a view of the surrounding country for several miles can be had from every portion of the place. One of the most flourishing schools in the State is located there, viz: the Baylor University. There are a large number of schollars [sic] in attendance. The family of the late General Houston reside there at present. Long Point is a small town, 15 miles west of this town. It has formerly been quite a business place, but its activity has now departed. I have met with Dr. Linscum [sic] a venerable and scientific gentleman.

After passing fifteen miles further westward, we come to Round Top,in Fayette county. This place is now nearly deserted, but its closed stores show that it has once been a business town. Many German settlers are in the neighborhood, their farms are well improved, and they are a very intelligent people. Schools are found in every neighborhood. The more I see of the people of Fayette county, the more am I satisfied that they have been outrageously slandered in calling into question their
loyalty to the South. Nearly every family in the county have sent a father, husband or son to the army, and many a once happy home is mourning some loved one lost. Let every true patriot throw back the defamations against this people in the face of those who utter them. I have spoken in a former letter of La Grange and Fayetteville.

We next come to the smart village of Chappell Hill, this place is famous for its well conducted school, called Soule University; the academy is a large and tastily built structure. The town is built in a beautiful location and surrounded by large and prosperous plantations. The town is quite a large one, and contains many tastily built residences. We next come to Brenham, the county seat of Washington county. This place
has suffered little since the war. It is the depot for a large region of country, and does a large and prosperous trade with the interior towns. It is built in the heart of rich country. The Washington county Railroad running from Hempstead, a distance of 20 miles, terminates here. This road when completed further into the interior will be quite an important one. It now sadly needs repairs. All the mails to Austin and vicinity pass over this road, and they are often delayed in consequence to accidents. When these happen they should be forwarded by
another conveyance and not suffered to remain in a mud hole on the road. Many planters come several miles to their post offices to receive their mail, and it is a sad disappointment to them not to get their papers. I trust this evil will be remedied by the company.

This town has in days past been one of the most famous towns in the State, and was in the days of the Texas Republic the seat of government for a long time. The town is tastily built, and is surrounded by a rich planting community. I consider Washington, Fayette, Grimes, Bexar, Austin and Caldwell counties the gardens of our State. The Texas Ranger is published here. Mrs. Eva Lancaster, its accomplished Editress, is making arrangements to publish it more regular hereafter in an enlarged form. Washington county is one of the richest counties in the State,
and ought to support a good newspaper well.

I find that the soldiers' families are well cared for every where, especially in this county. The planters have done and will continue to do all in their power for their relief. Many worthy families, who have formerly been in comfortable circumstances, dislike to let their neighbors know their present needs, and some would starve sooner than do so. This class should be found and assistance given them unasked for.

I find many furloughed soldiers who were wounded the past season in Louisiana, at their homes still suffering from wounds. The surgeon's certificates that they were unfit for duty at present, were lost in the mails, and a few of these gallant men are published as deserters. They will join their commands as soon as they recover. I trust that officers will be more careful in future, and not blast the reputation of brave men by publishing them as deserters, until they have reliable evidence of the fact.

Sioux.

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum