Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Canned Goods EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Canned Goods EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Canned Goods EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Canned Goods EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Canned Goods EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Canned Goods EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Canned Goods EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Canned Goods EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Canned Goods EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canned Goods

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Canned Goods Empty Canned Goods Mon May 31, 2010 11:07 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

These were advertised in the Indianola Courier, Oct. 1860.

Fresh
Matagorda Bay Oysters!
Hermetically Sealed.

Harrison's Fresh Green Turtle,
And Turtle Soup,
in Hermetically Sealed two and six Pound Cans
Warranted
To Keep in Any Climate.

Posted on Texas Civilian Yahoo list July 2009 by Robin Gilliam

Now, a *real* Texas pioneer, Gail Borden, had invented, tested and successsfully marketed his New York Condensed Milk in cans by the time the Civil War began, and people in many places would likely have known about it. Our problem in the Southern part of the country would have been access to Northern-made products like "canned cow." Anyway, the article made me want to know if there were any competing brands of condensed milk produced in the South before or during conflict, and if not, when did Borden's or a similar product first become available out here?

So Borden was a Texan ? Cool Did you find out anything yet about a southern version of canned milk?
Debbie Hill Russell

New Yorker but later came to Texas.
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/BB/fbo24.html
Annette

Before Borden did the condensed milk he made canned meat here in Texas. Olmstead had it with him through Texas in late 1850s. He hated it and threw it out .
Annette

I understood that Gail Borden's infamous "meat biscuit" was just that - a dried biscuit (described as "pemmican") and not a canned product? I am not sure I have ever read of an actual industrial cannery in Texas prior to the civil war, but I don't doubt there was one. Does anyone know of one specifically? Or for that matter a specific cannery anywhere in the south? If we had one it should be easy to find out what they were canning.
Terre

my error. From the Handbook of Texas Online. In 1849 he perfected a meat biscuit, made of dehydrated meat compounded with
flour,
Annette

THE RANCHERO [Corpus Christi, TX], January 14, 1860, p. 2, c. 1
Green Turtle Soup.—We have tested a sample of green turtle soup, hermetically sealed in tin cans, and put up by Mr. Harrison, of Indianola, and take pleasure in pronouncing it one of the most palatable soups that ever found its way into our masticating apparatus.
Vicki Betts

And I think that beef had been commercially canned in tins around that time - also on the coast, and maybe at Rockport-Fulton. But I'm remembering it as probably just after the war. Maybe we should try to reproduce Borden's beef biscuits for the reenacting crowd? There must be a recipe or formula somewhere, and they might not be totally unpalatable. Better than hard tack with wevils, and more protein!
Robin G-C

Try here
http://www.todayinsci.com/Events/Patent/SoupBread7066.htm
and
http://www.todayinsci.com/B/Borden_Gail/MeatBiscuit-SciAm.htm
It's also called Portable soup-bread.
Annette

The United States military issued meat biscuits during the 1840's and 1850's. To overgeneralize think of it as a giant boullion cube.
mobley cody

Galveston had some, but there were still occasional blockade runners coming in:

GALVESTON WEEKLY NEWS, December 10, 1862, p. 2, c. 6
75,000 lbs salt, Speers' and other Plows,
12 bxs Powhatan Pipes,
10 bxs Condensed Milk,

So, still don't know WHERE the milk was condensed.

But if you want to do it yourself:

BELLVILLE [TX] COUNTRYMAN, September 6, 1864, p. 1, c. 5
The following in the process to condense milk for the soldiers:
Place two quarts of new milk in a vessel over a slow fire, stir it to prevent burning, until it is about the thickness of cream, add one pound of sugar, a little at a time, stirring constantly, till it becomes thick and stiff, then spread on plates and dry in the oven or the sun, and powder it with a knife or spoon. It can be sent in papers, and serves for both milk and sugar when dissolved in coffee or tea.

(So papers, not cans.)
Vicki Betts

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum