Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Tobacco Pouches EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Tobacco Pouches EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Tobacco Pouches EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Tobacco Pouches EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Tobacco Pouches EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Tobacco Pouches EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Tobacco Pouches EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Tobacco Pouches EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Tobacco Pouches EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tobacco Pouches

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tobacco Pouches Empty Tobacco Pouches Mon May 31, 2010 11:15 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

There is a discussion on the AC forum on tobacco pouches
http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19837

Annette

You know the first year we did Henkle and I held the Ladies Aid Society Vicki brought some pouches we used for the little bags we gave some soldiers at Leindo. Maybe Vicki could be of some aid in how to make these bags. Weren't they tobacco pouches? Hey we have our own expert right here.

Debbie Hill Russell

Mine were just multi-purpose little pouches--nails, coins, salt, stamps, whatever. Actually, I think tobacco pouches were supposed to be waterproof or somewhat waterproof, to keep the moisture in the tobacco. I think I've read that some were made with very thin leather.

Vicki Betts

Kidskin leather treated with tallow and beeswax, silk treated with linseed oil, enamelled cloth, vulcanized sheeting (cut up an old ground cloth) etc. all would be appropriate materials to make tobacco pouch out of. The easiest way I have found to make these is to cut pieces of cloth that are shaped as one would draw an eye, meaning an arc on top mirrored by an arc on bottom. One end of each piece would be cut square (this would be the top when sewn so that you can access the goods inside) You will need atleast 6 of these pieces (dependingon size of bag) stitch two pieces together along one curved seam; from tip to where it is cut square. Each of the pieces are sewn to each of the other pieces along one seam only. The end result will look similar to a coin purse/marble bag.
mobley cody

So is there a difference between a tobacco BAG and a tobacco POUCH or can the terms be used interchangeably?

Annette

They were also lined with coated paper: usually waxed.
Trowbridge, Steve

Here's a nice fancy tobacco pouch. It's a bit before our time, but I imagine item such as this probably didn't evolve too fast.

http://tinyurl.com/cykc4k

Wow - sure hope the owner appreciated the work that went into this one.

I might use the measurements for copying in a plainer fashion. Sorry, gentlemen; I will not be making one like this...

Kimberly

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]