Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Vicksburg and Texas Troops EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Vicksburg and Texas Troops EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Vicksburg and Texas Troops EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Vicksburg and Texas Troops EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Vicksburg and Texas Troops EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Vicksburg and Texas Troops EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Vicksburg and Texas Troops EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Vicksburg and Texas Troops EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Vicksburg and Texas Troops EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vicksburg and Texas Troops

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Vicksburg and Texas Troops Empty Vicksburg and Texas Troops Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:10 am

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

This is not civilian specific, but thought some here might be interested in this seminar. I've posted a link to the event flyer on my website at
http://www.geocities.com/txcwcivilian/Events/Events.html

Vicksburg: The Fatal Fulcrum
November 21, 2009 • McMurry University
Abilene, Texas
Keynote speaker: Ed Bearrs, Historian Emeritus of the National Park Service and Speaker Extrordinaire

Looks very interesting! Vicksburg was definitely one "campaign" that involved the local civilians, much to their dismay. I would love to go to the lectures over in Abilene, and some of the Hood's Brigade's other programs (in Austin) as well.

Thanks for posting this, otherwise I doubt I'd have found out about it.

Robin G-C

Posted on Texas Civilian Yahoo list October 29 2009 by Jennifer Payne Jones

Please forgive me for posting a bit out of the parameters of this group, but as this involves Texas Soldiers in the Civil War, I did want to share. My husband Rob Jones is on the board of Hood's Texas Brigade Association Re-Activated and we've both been involved in this event.

If you are at all interested, keep reading:
The Seminar Planning Committee has extended its deadline for registering for the seminar and pre-event in Abilene until November 15th. The MCM Elegante has extended its registration deadline for the block of rooms until November 6th.

The Schedule & Speakers:

Speaker: Ed Bearss, Historian Emeritus, National Park Service.
"Overview of Vicksburg Campaign." This introductory segment will
present the overview of the offensive and defensive strategies with particular attention to the problems of the Confederate defense, the development of the campaign, the roles of "key" commanders, and the reasons for final Union success.

Speaker: Charles Grear, Department of History, Prairie View A&M
University. "Texans at Vicksburg." This subject will explore the roles of the 2nd Texas Infantry, Waul's Legion, and the 7th Texas Infantry in the Vicksburg Campaign, providing an understanding of their respective contributions and
effectiveness in the siege and relief efforts.

Speaker: Susannah Ural (formerly Bruce), Department of History,
University of Southern Mississippi. "Letters from Hood's Brigade
Soldiers on the Effects of the Two Defeats at Vicksburg and
Gettysburg." The speaker will draw on her extensive work with letters written by members of Hood's Brigade to explore the effect of the defeats at Vicksburg and Gettysburg on the soldier's morale in the fall of 1863.

Speaker: Dale K. Phillips, Superintendent of George Rogers Clark
National Historical Park in Vincennes, IN. "Port Hudson & Vicksburg." This topic will discuss the importance of Port Hudson to Trans-Mississippi communications and the parallel campaign of Major General Nathaniel P. Banks against the Louisiana stronghold several hundred miles below Vicksburg.

Speaker: Richard Lowe, Professor of History, North Texas University.
"Walker's Texas Division: The Attempt to Relieve Vicksburg from the West." The final topic will explain the relief efforts in Louisiana, the role of the Texans, and the reasons for failure.

$50.00 (including lunch) for the Saturday Seminar
$65.00 for the 5:30 Friday Afternoon Tour of Buffalo Gap Historic
Village, followed by a 7:00 pm Chuck Wagon Dinner.

If you are interested in attending, you can find the registration form online at:
http://www.hoodstexasbrigade.org/pages/pdfs/VicksburgFlyerWEB.pdf

Send this form, together with your check made payable to
Hood's Texas Brigade Association, Re-Activated to—
Ann Oppenheimer
Corresponding Secretary/Treasurer HTBAR
11 Dallari Court
San Antonio, Texas 78216-7887

In addition to The Wright Collection book sales tables(www.thewrightcollection.com), the Texas Historical Commission
Military Sites will have a Power Point display, Joe Walker will be bringing period items that relate to Vicksburg and Mississippi from his personal collection for viewing, Dr. Stephen Turner of Plainview will be selling his several books on Texas history based on his family, Statehouse Press and theMcWhiney Foundation will have items for sale, and Hood's Texas Brigade Association, Re-activated will be offering its pins and other mementoes.

Please consider attending if you are at all interested. It will be a very informative event!

Jennifer Payne Jones

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum