Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Clothing descriptions EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Clothing descriptions EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Clothing descriptions EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Clothing descriptions EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Clothing descriptions EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Clothing descriptions EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Clothing descriptions EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Clothing descriptions EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Clothing descriptions EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Clothing descriptions

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Clothing descriptions Empty Clothing descriptions Mon May 31, 2010 1:04 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Posted on Texas Civilian Yahoo list in June 2009 by Vicki Betts

p.31, Samuel Maverick in Austin to wife Mary, November 10, 1861
At night there was, as usual, a governor's ball...Mrs. Mitchell has told me all about the ball: It was to have been a calico ball &c and the proceeds, if any, were to be dedicated to the war. But the ladies couldn't conveniently, if at all, get the calico; and having on hand the silks and the muslins, they had best go in them and so they did. But the gentlemen, especially the Gov and many of the members were in penitentiary jeans, dyed
various shades of brown & black--a most excellent article of apparel indeed.

p.56, Mary Maverick from San Antonio, to son Lewis, January 11, 1863
Mr. Ross Houston died on 22nd. Mrs. Houston looks very thin and feeble but is improving now. She thinks they are all making homespun down there and I took lessons in spinning and showed quite a genius for carding and spinning. When my wheel comes I'll do something myself. Mrs. Bee has given me a pair of cards--we are very good friends and Cap Ed T. too. ... Tell me beforehand if you want a pr [of] boots made, or shoes, you or George. They are $50--boots--but takes time to worry them out of the shoe-maker. As all the good calf-skins come from Matamoras, maybe you can send one to be made up and also a soft one to make Mary and I a pair--that is if you can get them made there or buy them ready-made which may be upon inquiry the best. Vance and others sell French calf-skins here for $35 and $40, and Lehr tells me one skin will make a pr of boots and a pr of shoes.

p.58, Mary Maverick, from San Antonio, to son Lewis, January 30, 1863
Aunt Ann says you ought to come up and take Ada out riding so she can get to wear her new riding dress--a splendid bl[ac]k cloth, embroidered--and a present from Mr. and Mrs. McKinney. ... I went downtown when Cline was here to hunt again for gauntlets--could find none, but got a good pair of soft-leather gloves and made a parcel of them, the buff cloth and a pound of candy--but Cline had gone when I sent it to his house.

p.61, Mary Maverick, from San Antonio, to son Lewis, February 17, 1863
Miss Campbell is to be married Saturday night and leave for Houston and Galveston Sunday morn. Mrs. Cap Merritt doing very well, everybody says. The wardrobe only arrived from Mexico a week ago. A number of ladies, myself included, have been sewing for her since Monday morning and I have still a good [d]eal to do.

p.63, Mary Maverick from San Antonio to son Lewis, February 17, 1863
I am knitting a pair of gauntlets for you, my first trial at gloves. Mrs. Rice spun the yarn expressly for you. I am going to borrow he[r] wheel and spin some too and knit George a pr. Aunt Jinney had it twice to spin for soldiers' socks--but I had no turn then to try my hand. I know I can do it for I [learned?] some on the Cibolo.

p.71, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, June 9, 1863
Willie is waiting. I have r[eadie]d another pr of linen drawers for you & bo't a set of beautiful buttons $30.

p.75, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son George, October 16, 1863
I send you three pair of nice woolen socks--marked by Mr. Vance.

p.79 Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, November 16, 1863
One day last week, the package you sent by Capt. Podewell came to hand, i.e., the cloth case & buttons, some fine quills, and a nice supply of letter paper. I have made you a pr of pants and 2 pr of drawers & have 2 pr of socks ready and will look out for Mr. Tom Rife. I don't think I will find any good cloth for the coarser pants you wish. Suppose I make another pr of this grey? Did you perceive that I lined your blue pants with the old
lining you sent back in the chest? It was perfectly good and nicely washed & all the better for being shrunk. I was only sorry the grey was torn off--for I could have made Allie a jacket of it. I went to see your tailor 3 times & did not find him, then I learned where he lived, & sent Susan. His wife was sick, & he had more work on hand than he could finish in a
month--but I will see him myself & try to persuade him over. I will cut the vest this evening.

p.82 George Maverick, from Camp Lubbock near Houston, to brother Willie, November 21, 1863
We all drew clothing the other day, jackets & pants (grey) and 46 hats and 40 blankets to the co, for which we had to draw lots. I drew a hat but missed the blanket. They say we will draw enough blankets tomorrow or next day. I haven't got but one blanket and a palate [pallet].

p.90 Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, December 13, 1863
...Mrs. Pyron tells me that a good chance offers tomorrow of a wagon going to Pyron's regt--and I write by it, & am in doubt about sending your clothes, as I do not know if you can get them so. Your coat I have made myself also, as I found the tailor would be a long time about it, and it looks very well indeed, & is even better done than if the tailor had done it I believe, i.e., in strength of sewing. The fit of course is his doing--but
as he cut it intending to make it himself, I presume it is all right. It is embroidered & barred & all complete except yellow facing which I did not find. I have George shoes & pants ready also--but he said he did not now need them. And when I consider the risk of losing them in the uncertain times of marching and countermarching, I believe I should not send them only by a sure person. But I am afraid you are in need of your drawers & socks &
am thinking I had best send them anywhow. If I had your old grey coat I could re-[line?] & fix it good for use again I think.

p.105, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, February 7, 1864
Tell George that I have dyed jeans both with moss and oak bark, neither of them pretty. Will decide tomorrow which is best looking & then make his suit up soon as I can.

p.110, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Willie, Feb. 11, 1864
About making you a pr of Sunday pants--I don't know when I can do it because I don't see any nice cloth. I bought some from the Aid store, but it was blue cottonade very nice & good--but nothing extra. Grey cloth sells at $60 a yd now--but I will keep a look out.

p.118, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, March 2, 1864
"Live & learn" the old adage is true for I have a wheel & have learned to spin & did yesterday card, spin & double & twist enough cotton to one sock.

p.124, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, March 6, 1864
Col. Wilcox is dead, & crape is worn 30 days for him here, and complimentary speeches were made at a meeting of the [barr?] by Paschal & Tunstall....How in the name of wonder could a bonnet be sent to Mrs. Fitz & of what class of bonnet does she want? Ladies make their own here almost altogether--tho' some are sold for fabulous prices.

p.134, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, April 19, 1864
I received the grey cloth you sent me & have acknowledged it. It is beautiful French stuff & I have not yet decided what use to put it to. It is on hand for any requisition. I proposed to Pa to make him a pr pants, but he said "not needed now" but think I will make him a pr--but there are 10 yds you know & I have a cloak--black cloth--almost new, and an older one, very fine, which will make a nice one for Mary. Allie has a pr pants left
of your grey suit which has been his Sunday go-to-meetings [suit] all winter & spring & willie a coat you know of the same, both good as new almost.

p.147, Samuel Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, May 25, 1864
Specie is asked for goods now in every store here and it is rather hard times for people who haven't old clothes a plenty as we have.

p.164, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, August 7, 1864
Last Thursday morning Cap Frank Mullen (a QM in Majors' command) left here for your Cav Camp and was kind enough to take a little bundle for you and George--to you 2 grey woolen overshirts, 3 pr socks, 2 hdkfs & 2 collars--to George the same and 1 pr gauntlets, one cravat, & 2 pr of drawers. I think I had best make you & him both a pr of pants to send by Lytle (who has not
again been to see us) & Lehr promises to have George's boots--but I shall watch out to hear if you are not coming yourself or both of you. Willie is back from Seguin with one George Douglass, a schoolmate, & they are about their own amusement all the time--mighty particular to dress up & wear boots & brush hair & be men. You know how it is at that age--poor fellows--how long is it enjoyment?

p.167, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, September 8, 1864
How are you to get the package sent by Capt Frank Mullen? ... It contains shirts, socks, drawers, & handkerchiefs &cc. That by Joe Beck (who expected to reach you 15 Septr) contains a suit apiece & your shirts & drawers &c. I have now a pr pants & a vest for you made of that beautiful French caimere [sic] you sent from Caney. The pants are lined & will wear well. I made Pa
a pr of the same & have yet enough of it for a coat for you or Mary....At one little store I found best quality of undershirts & got two for you. Now if I can ever send them & the vest & pants.

p.171, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, September 11, 1864
I sent by Frank Mullen 4 flannel shirts, 2 calico do [sic], 2 pr drawers, 8 pr socks--maybe 6, 4 white handkerchiefs & some other items I forget--by Maj Beck 1 pant & jacket for you, Do for George, 2 pr drawers for you--3 shirts for you & 1 for George, 1 silk hdkf each, 2 prs shoes, 2 pr thick socks each, a guard cap for either who wish it--tobacco, paper & envelopes, & songs--I forget if anything else--but sent a list in each bundle.

p.173, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, October 24, 1864
I send red flannel drawers, soft & warm, to both of you, recommended by all MD's, also flannel shirts & socks & hope you will wear them. I send your pocket knife, & pocket inkstand, some tobacco, some coffee, a casimere vest & pants & a pr Kersey pants & some shirts, & a pr French gauntlets & a nice Mexican blanket & a pr Cav. Boots & some cheltepine [sic] for your cuisine, some paper & envelopes & will, if I can see a safe way, send some money.

p.188, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Willie, April 18, 1865
And I would like you to send me enough of the knitting thread made at your factory to knit you a pr of socks--50 cts or $1 worth. I don't want it coarse like that spun at home. I will see if I like it & will ask you to bring more when you come, if I do. I will send $1 for this also.

p.191, Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, [April?] 23, 1865
He told us there was no surplice ... gown) to officiate in on sabbath. We assured him ... should be one (It seems Mr. D. took off [with] the linen one we made him last year.) Next morning early Mrs. Sweet & I went to three other of our members for help (money) & then purchased 20 yds of bishop lawn & six handkerchiefs. Then the difficulty was to get it cut, as we had no idea of its shape. After a hot search, we found a mantua-maker ... & finally was persuaded to cut ... all day Friday & most of Satur[day.] Mrs. S. basting & I stitching on the machi[ne] managed to finish in good time a [hand]some surplice, seven white collars, 2 bands, & ... 12 hdkfs. These, with 2 shirts, & 2 pr socks, all marked with his name, we sent him & received a very nice & grateful note of thanks.

from the Uncompromising Diary of Sallie McNeil.

Jane is making Archie green breeches Cut off [I think she means cut out] my pink mohair skirt.

Three Months in the Southern States, Lt. Col. Arthur J.L. Fremantle, page 75.
Warning: Period language in reference to African Americans.

May 3 1863. [in Houston] The general took me out for a drive in his ambulance, and I saw innumerable negroes and negresses parading about the streets in the most outrageously grand costumes--silks, satins, crinolines, hats with feathers,
lace mantles, etc. forming an absurd contrast to the simple dresses of their mistresses.

I think the statement regarding the simple dress of the mistresses is
interesting.

Just so the gentlemen don't feel left out. Sorry it's not as extensive as the women's quote.

Three Months in the Southern States, Lt. Col. Arthur J.L. Fremantle, page 77.

May 5 1863. One of them [passengers on a stage] produced a pair of boots which had cost him $100; another showed me a common wide-awake hat which had cost him $40.

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum