Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Soldiers' Box EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Soldiers' Box EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Soldiers' Box EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Soldiers' Box EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Soldiers' Box EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Soldiers' Box EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Soldiers' Box EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Soldiers' Box EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Soldiers' Box EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Soldiers' Box

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Soldiers' Box Empty Soldiers' Box Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:38 am

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

If anyone has anything for the soldiers' box for Liendo you can bring it to me at TMD or contact me and I can send my address if you wish to mail or we can arrange a meeting place to pick up.

Currently we have a shirt, a couple of housewives, and a haversack. I plan to stitch up some ditty bags and handkerchiefs and also include some canned fruit with period labels, paper, envelopes and pencils.

Since I'm new to this . . . .
What is a "soldiers' box"?

Mark Stolarski

Mark,

A "soldier's box" is pretty much a gift box from home. It could be a box for an individual soldier put together by family members or it could be a community effort for a group of soldiers from residents of their home town. It would usually contain non-issue or hard-to-get items such as socks, mittens, handkerchiefs or shirts and food stuffs like fruits, spices and sweets.
Best Regards,
Kevin

Thanks for the info!
It sounds alot like the modern "care package".

Mark

Charles' descrïption is correct. With this particular box, some
of us decided to work on things that would be in such a box and then randomly give the box to a unit at the event at Liendo.

Annette

Sounds great!
Mark

Ladies and other civilians often sent packages of necessities to the troops. Think of it as a Red Cross care package.
HenryC

I have the soldiers' box all ready to go. I haven't wrapped it yet, so if you have anything to go into it please get it to me before Friday. I've taken pictures and will post them later in the week.

The soldiers box is wrapped and ready to go other than the tag. Pictures are on my blog at http://txcwcivilian.blogspot.com/2009/11/soldiers-box.html

Oh no! Weather is looking really nasty for Liendo. Heavy rain tomorrow and rain Saturday morning; it's going to be soup out there. I'm thinking if the forecast stays the way it is that I will not attempt to go out and hold the box for Galveston.

Did you end up going to Liendo &/or delivering the box?

Yes. It went very well. There is an AAR under After Action Reports on this forum. Sorry you couldn't be there!

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum