Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Stoves and Ovens EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Stoves and Ovens EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Stoves and Ovens EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Stoves and Ovens EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Stoves and Ovens EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Stoves and Ovens EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Stoves and Ovens EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Stoves and Ovens EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Stoves and Ovens EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stoves and Ovens

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Stoves and Ovens Empty Stoves and Ovens Mon May 31, 2010 1:15 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Posted on Texas Civilian Yahoo list July 2009.

so now the big question is how common were they in 1860s Texas?

Annette Bethke

I suspect that in upper middle class and upper class kitchens they were fairly common. They are one of the easiest ways to roast meats, and the next logical development from the turnspit actually in a fireplace. there were certainly local tinsmiths in Texas, and an amazing amount of commercial goods were being imported too
Hal

Just wondering though if the family was upper class or even upper middle class wouldn't some of them have stoves instead of these ovens? I think I have only been in one restored to the period 1860's house (George Ranch) and I don't remember if it had a stove or not. If I am remembering it correctly Henkle Sq has only one house with a stove and it is a coal or charcoal stove from what Deborah has told me. But that may not have been in that house originally.
Curious minds want to know.

Debbie Hill Russell

Stoves are certainly available by 1860 even in areas off the train routes- but very, very rare. Even as wealthy as William Brown Miller, who built the large greek revival home that is at Dallas Heritage Village, was he did not have a stove in the early 1860s in the property's kitchens. Most Texans are still working off of open hearth cooking at that time, and really many of them up until at least the mid-1870s. Until the train come through an area coal would also have been largely unavailable except to blacksmiths who spent a lot of money for wagon transport, so what stoves there might have been off-train would have been wood.

Hal

One of my "finds" in the Footnote.com files was the voucher for the purchase of a heating (presumably) stove, December 1, 1861, by E. C. Wharton, quartermaster, which cost the Confederacy $20.00. What was interesting, though, was the comment at the bottom: "The stove was purchased from the fact that but few houses or stores in Houston or Galveston have fireplaces or grates--stoves being in almost universal use." He's talking heating stoves, and maybe he's differentiating between houses and kitchens, since they were likely unattached, but I still thought that was intriguing. By the fall of 1861, coastal cities with easy access to ships' cargoes, apparently were already dependent on stoves, perhaps even coal stoves. Later, after the blockade was in place, fuel became a critical need in Galveston, with soldiers and others taking down unoccupied frame homes for heating and cooking, and a cry was raised to bring firewood over from the mainland, or there wouldn't be a Galveston left to live in.

Just a sidenote from the oven conversation...

Vicki Betts

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]