Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

codymobley

All,
Fort McKavett State Historic Site, in conjunction with the Texas Historic Commission, will be hosting a 150th anniversary event in November 2011. This event will commemorate the six month period during the winter/spring of 1861-1862 that Fort McKavett served as a Prisoner of War Camp. So far I have received interest from parties as far east as Florida and Georgia, and as far north as Kansas for attendance.

The scenario will pertain to the interaction between the soldiers of Co. E, 1st Texas Mtd Rifles and the prisoners from the 8th US Infantry being held on post. Civilian interaction between the soldiers on post would be appropriate, whether they were travelling on the San Antonio-El Paso military road, homesteaders moving to set up homesteads in the newly formed Concho, Mason, Runnels, or Menard Counties, homesteaders moving back east after continued interaction with indigenous populations, or as part of the family of the post Sutler or the owners of the land the fort was built on. I hope to have a sutler shop set up in the bakery on site.

Being abandoned in 1859, the Robinson family moved on to the post to maintain buildings, etc. but due to the poor quality of lime used in the mortar buildings quickly fell into disrepair.

Squatters moving from the east to the west, and vice versa, took up residence in some of the abandoned and ruined barracks. Several of the barracks on site are in such a position to be squatted in and hold residence in during the event.

150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site 32209_12
150th anniversary event, Fort McKavett State Historic Site 32209_13

Here is how we set up in one of the barracks ruins for an 1868 event we recently hosted on site. I will post more information soon, and hopefully I will get a website for the event up and running.

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Very cool. Count me in!! Let me know as soon as you have a date and we'll get it on the calendar.

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum