Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Banks & Banking EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Banks & Banking EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Banks & Banking EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Banks & Banking EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Banks & Banking EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Banks & Banking EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Banks & Banking EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Banks & Banking EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Banks & Banking EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Banks & Banking

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Banks & Banking Empty Banks & Banking Mon May 31, 2010 1:25 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Copied from the Texas Civilian Yahoo list. Posted in October 2007 by Vicki Betts.

There's a problem with 1860 bank currency in Texas, namely the banks. This is from the online Handbook of Texas, the article on Banks and Banking:

The state Constitution of 1845 prohibited the incorporation of banks and the private issuance of paper money. Merchants increasingly performed limited banking functions, as commission merchants, factors, insurance agents, and bankers. Financial agents flourished first in Galveston, but other agencies opened offices as agricultural development spread to the interior. In time, moneylenders could be found in most towns and many villages; in 1859 they numbered more than 3,000, with loans in excess of $3 million.

The Commerce and Agricultural Bank opened in 1847 in Galveston, and was the only chartered bank in Texas before the Civil War. Both the republic and the state of Texas recognized its Mexican charter (1835), but the investors had difficulty raising the $100,000 in specie required to operate. The bank could establish branches, but a branch at Brownsville was the only one opened. The bank issued notes, underwritten by deposit currency, and engaged in various types of lending. It catered to customers in the mercantile business, but also provided exchange and other financial services to the public. After a decade of activity, an adverse state court decision prohibited the bank from issuing circulating notes, and it closed in 1859.

The constitutions of 1861 and 1866 prohibited state chartered banks

That's one reason the Louisiana notes look interesting. I think I have an exchange rate table in one of my newspaper files. I'll see if I can dig it out. It may be this afternoon before I get a chance, though.

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum