Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Secession Expectations EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Secession Expectations EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Secession Expectations EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Secession Expectations EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Secession Expectations EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Secession Expectations EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Secession Expectations EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Secession Expectations EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Secession Expectations EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Secession Expectations

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Secession Expectations Empty Secession Expectations Mon May 31, 2010 7:14 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

From what I have been reading in diaries, letters and newspaper
articles from 1860, it almost seems that yes, the majority of the
Texas population supported secession, but it appears that they also felt or thought the state would revert back to an independent republic, not join the other southern states in the Confederacy. Has anyone else had this idea or am I just reading something into these accounts that is not there?

Annette

I know I got the impression from the newspapers that I've read that it was at least considered a very viable option, particularly by the old Texians. And when you think of it, the referendum was on whether Texas would secede, NOT whether it would join the Confederacy. That seemed to just slide in.
The problem came with the huge influx of folks from the deep South between 1850 and 1861. They still had strong ties back home that made them want to become part of the new nation.

Vicki Betts

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

2Secession Expectations Empty Re: Secession Expectations Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:02 pm

Jim Lauderdale

Texas was founded by people from the deep South from the very beginning. Their ties to the South were very deep. Francis Lubbock was for secession and the confederacy when he nominated John Breckenridge for the Southern Democratic Presidential Candidate against Lincoln. I have not found any source that states Texas having any desire to revert to a Republic. It didn't work the first time and I don't think anyone expected it to a second time. Texas was appealing to the United States within months of gaining independence from Mexico.

That's my four irish half pennies...

Jim Lauderdale

3Secession Expectations Empty Re: Secession Expectations Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:42 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

I don't think it was ever stated and I don't think those in power considered, but I think there was an underlying expectation of the population that it was a possibility. Since we never took a vote to join the CSA, I guess we'll never know how many thought this.

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum