Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Aid Fair in Concrete Texas EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Aid Fair in Concrete Texas EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Aid Fair in Concrete Texas EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Aid Fair in Concrete Texas EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Aid Fair in Concrete Texas EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Aid Fair in Concrete Texas EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Aid Fair in Concrete Texas EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Aid Fair in Concrete Texas EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Aid Fair in Concrete Texas EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Aid Fair in Concrete Texas

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Aid Fair in Concrete Texas Empty Aid Fair in Concrete Texas Mon May 31, 2010 10:39 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Concrete Texas. It is located between Gonzales and Cuero and it is basically a wide spot in the road and a cemetery. Their biggest claim to fame currently is the Roadkill Grill (I've been told the food is very good). I found the following in Vicki Betts' newspaper transcrïptions and just couldn't help laughing to think that little Concrete apparently at one time was quite the community.

Concrete, DeWitt County, }
March 30th, 1863. }
Editor Telegraph:--It is indeed encouraging to see with what zeal
the ladies of our fair State do their part towards conquering a
peace and establishing Southern independence. It has been my good
fortune to have attended several entertainments gotten up by ladies for the purpose of raising funds for our army hospitals. The necessity for such funds, no patriot denies. But to the point. I had the pleasure, on the night of the 20th inst., of attending a Concert, tableaux vivante, supper, &c., gotten up by the ladies of Concrete and vicinity, which I am compelled to pronounce, (with all due deference to the ladies of other places,) a little ahead of anything of the kind I have yet witnessed. The tableaux were quite original and arranged with a great deal of taste; the music was splendid, and calculated to please all. The supper would have pleased the most fastidious epicure. Before adjourning to the supper room, two young ladies, at the suggestion of a friend to the cause, passed through the audience and received contributions, which amounted to $300. The proceeds of the entertainment were $711. On the night following, the entertainment was repeated, free of charge, for the benefit of the darkies, who not only enjoyed themselves in such a manner as to put all Yankeedom to the blush, but contributed $27.95, making in all the sum of $1,038.95. A few days afterwards, a patriotic citizen handed the committee the handsome sum of $1000.
I opine that the only objection that could have been raised, was the admittance fee ($2) was too small, as either the Concert or Supper were each independently worth more than the money.
Home Guard.
[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, May 1, 1863, p. 1, c. 5

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum