Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Tomatoes in Texas EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Tomatoes in Texas EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Tomatoes in Texas EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Tomatoes in Texas EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Tomatoes in Texas EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Tomatoes in Texas EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Tomatoes in Texas EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Tomatoes in Texas EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Tomatoes in Texas EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tomatoes in Texas

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tomatoes in Texas Empty Tomatoes in Texas Mon May 31, 2010 10:50 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Copied from Texas Civilian Yahoo list. Posted August 2007 by Terre Schill

It just struck me that tomatoes are not on this list. Apparently by 1820s science had pretty well established that they were not poisonous, but had popular attitudes toward them quite shifted yet? Were people eating them in Texas (or elsewhere in south)? Any sources? Vicki, you probably addressed this in your gardening presentation a couple of years ago, but I no longer remember. Other missing veggies include spinach, squash, potatoes, turnips. Does this list continue on the next page, Annette?

Also, do you think by "musk melon" he means a real musk melon, or a cantaloupe (which we used to call a "musk melon" when I was a kid)?

Copied from Texas Civilian Yahoo list. Posted August 2007 by Annette Bethke

Spinach probably is included in the borecole catagory.
Potatoes, Irish potatoes, and turnips weren't on the
list but mentioned in other parts of the posting. The
list was complete as printed in the book.

Copied from Texas Civilian Yahoo list. Posted August 2007 by Vicki Betts

Tomatoes were definitely grown. From Fanning's journal:

1857 Feb
Tuesday 24 Great day this. Lizzie gave birth to a boy at 4.55 m. A. M. Finished planting corn in upper part of field. Hauled one load rails from old fence. John ploughed extension of orchard for sweet potatoes. Wash planted tomatoes & butter beans. A sharp mist early this morning.

Friday 27 Held on the slack generally in the forenoon—went to store to carry letters—talked politics a great time & the weather—afternoon fin. bushing corn Tommy planted Butter, running beans, watermelons, cantelopes dwarf & marrow fat peas squashes & cucumbers, cabbage lettuce & tomatoes, corn in garden

In the previous entry he talks about cantelopes--in the next he mentions muskmelons, so I'd say that he probably knew and grew both.

1858 February
Thursday 18 Mer AM 55—M 750. Planted corn, cow peas, water & musk melons, Palencia etc. okra & beets. All hands dined at Dade’s

Fannie Brown, up here near Kilgore, also planted tomatoes. This is from her journal:

1861 Jan. 31 I sowed 3 kinds of tomatoes, set out lettuce

1861 Apr. 6 Had my first peas. . . Mrs. Rogers had tomato plants

1861 Apr. 7 Ann had tomato plants

1861 Apr. 10 Sent Mollie tomato plants—sent Mr. O. Pegues tomato plants

1861 Apr. 27 Susan planted cabbage plants—Garland planted tomato plants

1861 May 31 Planted potatoe slips. . . stuck tomatoes

1861 June 4 Had tomatoes

Copied from Texas Civilian Yahoo list. Posted August 2007 by Debbie Russell

Vicki were in TX where the Fannings. Seems very early for tomatoes or any of those crops even by seed for Central TX and north.

Copied from Texas Civilian Yahoo list. Posted August 2007 by Vicki Betts

Gonzales County, down near Nixon. Fanning sometimes planted seeds in a log, presumably hollowed out. He doesn't mention a cold frame by name, but they were in use by Thomas Jefferson's time at Monticello and show up in antebellum Southern gardening books. I've seen the remains of a huge one at a Louisiana plantation near St. Francisville. The guide said they put manure in the bottom, and the heat of that decomposing helped the seeds and tender baby plants survive the last frosts and freezes of February and March.

This is from Vicki Betts newspaper transcrïptions.

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, May 30, 1862, p. 2, c. 2
We acknowledge the receipt of a bucket of elegant honey from a lady friend in the country, sent as a token of approval of the part we have taken in reference to shinplasters.
Ripe watermelons appeared in Market yesterday evening. Roasting ears are beginning to appear; also tomatos [sic], etc., etc.

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum