Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Fort Washita EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Fort Washita EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Fort Washita EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Fort Washita EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Fort Washita EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Fort Washita EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Fort Washita EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Fort Washita EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Fort Washita EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fort Washita

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fort Washita Empty Fort Washita Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:44 am

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Posted on Texas Civilian Yahoo List October 2009 by Robin Gilliam

The Fort Washita weekend was good! It didn't rain, and the lovely weather made things even better. There were too few women in proper corsets, of course, but the, um, visibly-corseted bar maids at the tavern certainly made up for it. Even one of the official, school-day laundresses wore a good corset.

The school day seemed well-attended, and we learned a few things from how Oklahoma handles their education options. Henry demonstrated a bunch of guns to the kids while Dixie and I (in modern attire) roamed around looking for people to invite to her event at the Confederate Reunion Grounds next spring... if it doesn't flood again.

I went to the dance in period dress that evening, and later we stopped in at the amazing travelling saloon, Miss Tula's, which was done exceptionally well. We don't think they will let it out of Oklahoma, or Dixie would have booked them for her event as well!

Saturday was more of the same but I was in costume all day. The big battle took place across a particularly scenic part of the property. The Confederacy won the series of skirmishes (Henry "died" fairly early on), and I think the crowd liked what they saw. Sunday I had to drive to Austin for a meeting, so that was it.

Widow Brock, did we talk to you? I forgot to inquire.... Sorry if I missed meeting you. Anyway, for a very public type of event (not for authentics and hardcore reenactors) this was very successful. There were sutlers, including James Country Mercantile and one or two others people might have seen elsewhere. I will definitely plan to go again next year.

The Fort Washita event was great! I enjoyed it tremendosly. The weather was beautiful, only a little rain on Friday night. Did you see the rainbow on Saturday morning? It was awesome.
Robin

I camped with the medical unit. They needed a laundress to boil bandages and ect... I have to admit, I was one of those ladies without a proper corset. I usuall wear mine, except when I'm doing laundry. I find it very uncomfortable to bend over those washtubs and hot boiling pots all day in a corset. At this event I was just a poor old widow who couldn't afford a proper corset!

I definitely will go back to Ft. Washita next year!

Widow Brock (Paula)
Camp Laundress

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum