Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Henkel Square EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Henkel Square EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Henkel Square EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Henkel Square EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Henkel Square EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Henkel Square EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Henkel Square EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Henkel Square EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Henkel Square EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Henkel Square

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Henkel Square Empty Henkel Square Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Jim Lauderdale visited Round Top yesterday and found somethings about the future use of Henkel Square, it doesn't look good. You can read Jim's report at

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jim-lauderdale/lunch-in-round-top-tx/10150271286853202

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

2Henkel Square Empty Henkel Sq Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:17 pm

weaverlorelei

Would be interested in reading Jim's report but the link won't work for me
I have met with the new owner, she seems like a nice Suburban, rich, cowgirl wannabe, in that she is most definetly big city but owns a fair ranchette in Round Top.
She had workers there planning on the moving and electrification of many of the buildings while I was there. Only one building was occupied while I was in town, the old museum had become an interior decor store. The barn will be a reseraunt, the others offices/shops, with a central gazebo to house some of the "important" items of the site
Chances of a group using it again are very slim, I would guess.

3Henkel Square Empty Re: Henkel Square Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

I bet you have to friend Jim to see it. I'll see if he will let me copy and paste the info about the square here.

4Henkel Square Empty Re: Henkel Square Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:19 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Here is Jim's posting on Henkel Square

I can tell you that most of the houses are being moved and will either be near the apothocary or the two story green Phelp's house. This is to make room for the parking lots and modern stores they are putting in to Henkel Square.

Back to looking for someone to complain to...I went to the RT Chamber of Commerce. The 'chamber man' gave me an ear full and was so proud of it.

The 1st phase, moving the old homes, should be complete by the 1st weekend of October. The 2nd phase including some newer modern buildings will be ready by the spring. The final phase will be ready in possibly a year and will include all the parking lots and professional spaces that businesses like Royer's and the Chamber of Commerce will rent space in.

All the old buildings are receiving makeovers that include electricity, AC, new roof, new floors, etc. ALL the old buildings will be used as retail space, but according to the chamber man, there will be no 'tchotchky' shops included. Whew, that's a relief! None of the homes will be left as historic homes. According to the chamber man, that's what Winedale is for. Besides, "no one is interested in that kind of stuff anymore," according to our lovely chamber man. All of the furnishings have been removed and no idea what has happened to them. So the 'historic homes' will just be shells that look historic.

The new owners, the Massey's, and the chamber felt that Henkel Square was a 'dead village.' Meaning they weren't getting very many visitors, including school groups from the local school districts. The chamber could not speak to what kind of advertising or marketing was being used. The owners are putting all electricity underground and camouflaging as much of the modern things as possible. New plumbing will also be put in, but separate from the buildings.

I told the chamber man that we were very disappointed to see Henkel Square being developed into another space for retail, antiques, restraunts and tchocky shops. We preferred it to be preserved and wished that there could have been some middle ground. We were informed that the Rosenburg family had felt the same way about some of the structures, but that was a "waste of several hours" out of the chamber man's day.

5Henkel Square Empty Re: Henkel Square Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:36 am

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum