Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
San Antonio Mutual Aid Store EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
San Antonio Mutual Aid Store EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
San Antonio Mutual Aid Store EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
San Antonio Mutual Aid Store EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
San Antonio Mutual Aid Store EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
San Antonio Mutual Aid Store EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
San Antonio Mutual Aid Store EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
San Antonio Mutual Aid Store EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
San Antonio Mutual Aid Store EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

San Antonio Mutual Aid Store

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1San Antonio Mutual Aid Store Empty San Antonio Mutual Aid Store Mon May 31, 2010 10:38 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Posted on Texas Civilian Yahoo list May 2009 by Vicki Betts

When Will the Weary War Be Over: The Civil War Letters of the Maverick Family of San Antonio.

Note: The printed bylaws for the San Antonio Mutual Aid Association are online in Footnote.com. The Maverick family is one of the most prominent in San Antonio, at were doing very well when the War started.

Mary Maverick from San Antonio to son Lewis, February 2, 1864, p. 100 Yesterday the long talked-of & looked-for goods were opened at the Mutual Aid store & all the town & all the county it seemed streamed in there. I went too, for squeeze in was the only hope, & Kate was shoeless & the darkies in rags. I went & stood wedged up swaying about till near 12 when I actually did get to the counter & had one of the numerous clerks' attention
long enough to get one bolt of domestic cloth, one pr shoes & 1 doz[en] candles for $180.00. Pa went this morning & understood the crowd to be greater--he got a coffee pot & 20 lbs of coffee for $85--most reasonable thing they had. I send you & George 5 lbs--very good it looks. Each purchaser is limited in quantity in each article so that all the numerous shareholders get a chance at something. I must go after more shoes, & some thread--get only what is very needful. I suppose all will be gone before
the week is, altho' some of the directors said it was a stock [that] cost 60,000 in specie--but the dearth of goods is so great & all other stores are so exorbitant.

Mary Maverick from San Antonio to son Willie, Feb. 11, 1864, p. 110 About making you a pr of Sunday pants--I don't know when I can do it because I don't see any nice cloth. I bought some from the Aid store, but it was blue cottonade very nice & good-but nothing extra. Grey cloth sells at $60 a yd now--but I will keep a look out.

Mary Maverick from San Antonio to son Willie, April 7, 1864, p. 133
The Aid store has had new goods again & sold out at high prices. I got 2 bolts of cloth for the negroes, three calico drepes [sic], some candles & a pr of shoes & had to pay over $700.

Mary Maverick from San Antonio to son Lewis, September 11, 1864, p. 170
They sell tobacco at the Aid store $1 a plug. I bought a sack of coffee Friday--fine flavoured Havana--wish I could send you some. I believe Betsey makes it better than ever since it is so high, & we think it would be a great hardship to do without it.

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum