Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Texas Living History Association Conference
Various quotes on gardens EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 8:12 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days 2012
Various quotes on gardens EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 pm by Annetteb

» Texian Market Days
Various quotes on gardens EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 7:54 pm by Annetteb

» Plantation Liendo, Hempstead, Texas
Various quotes on gardens EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:15 pm by Annetteb

» Rally Under the Flag
Various quotes on gardens EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:12 pm by Annetteb

» Historic Washington AR.
Various quotes on gardens EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm by Annetteb

» Hubbard reenactment
Various quotes on gardens EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 8:48 pm by Annetteb

» 1856-1858 probate documents
Various quotes on gardens EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm by Annetteb

» Chautauqua Assembly
Various quotes on gardens EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:21 pm by Annetteb

Poll

You are not connected. Please login or register

Various quotes on gardens

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Various quotes on gardens Empty Various quotes on gardens Mon May 31, 2010 10:48 pm

Annetteb

Annetteb
Admin

Posted on the Texas Civilian Yahoo list June 2009 by Vicki Betts

From _When Will the Weary War Be Over_

p.60 Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, January 30, 1863
Your Pa leaves to-morrow morning 6 o'clock for the legislature--suppose he may be gone 2 weeks. He and I have been every spare moment in the garden--you helped us this time last year.

p.63 Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, February 17, 1863
I am in the garden much, have peas up--the fig trees look fine. I have cabbage transplanted--find seed very scarce--hear all kinds to be had in Houston of Burke--but he sent Mrs. Maclin a poor supp[l]y. We swap around. I have grafted more fine roses, the white "Augusta" one dear name. I tho't ... you and your fondness for makin[g] bouquets all ... time. [note: for
those of you who have my gardening handout, Burke of Houston is mentioned as the main seed provider in Texas during the war]

p.101 Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, February 2, 1864
We have made a beginning towards gardening. The figs are badly
killed--peaches look fine, and are full of fruit buds. Pomegranites dead & every green thing, except eschalootes [sic--old term for shallots] & old Charley likes them so well he don't leave us any. The ditch has already been cleaned & is let down anew. [the old Spanish irrigation system in San Antonio]

p.117 Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Lewis, February 26, 1864
Our peach trees are in full bloom & my roses promise handsomely--more than ever & Pa & I work in the garden right hard & Frank hard for him, not to mention little niggers.

same page--Willie Mavrick, in Bastrop to brother Lewis, March 1864
All were well at home. Ma said that they were all hard at work every day working in the garden.

p.133 Mary Maverick, in San Antonio, to son Willie, April 7, 1864
Our garden looks very well. The figs are not all killed, but most of them are. The frost has left considerable number of peaches & we will have plenty of grapes. We have radish and lettuce now.

p.166 Mary Maverick in San Antonio, to son Lewis, August 7, 1864
I have Frank planting snap & turnips & cabbage for a fall garden. We have green corn yet, a rotation of little patches--for you to get a chance. Melons are plenty in the plaza & shops & tol[erably] cheap.

p.189 Mary Maverick in San Antonio to son Willie, April 18, 1865
We are all well, and our garden is glorious with roses, & honeysuckles & verdure. We have mustard, lettuce, & radishes to eat & peas in pod. The grapevines are loaded, & the figs (a few) big as the end of your thumb. We had a negro man to plow & plant for about six weeks, and for the last month, Antonio hoes & works in there all the time. And Jack does very well & we all do something. Pa and I particularly like that work & spend all
[leisure?] time there. I wish I could send you a bouquet to show Mrs. Allen. That frost thinned out the peaches mightily.

p.195 Mary Maverick in San Antonio to son Willie, May 9, 1865
We have a good vegetable garden now & had snaps, peas, beets, lettuce, radishes, & onions to dinner--and the grapevines are beautiful & very full.

http://www.txcwcivilian.org

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]